Thursday, November 24, 2005

Chapter 10

When Roger had come upon Becky Newsome she did not know what had happened. He had found out where she lived and followed her to the gym. He knew that she always did the same thing at the same time every day. She was a creature of habit and it was that that was going to cause her downfall.

As Becky went to the gym, on that Monday, he was waiting for her. He was standing by the door and opened it for her. As she walked by, he whispered, “I have some information that might give you a lead to the “El Diablo” case.” At hearing this, Becky turned around and faced him.

“Really, I could really use that. I hate not knowing anything and the police are not giving out any information.”

“Oh if you come with me and have a cup of coffee with me, I will tell you all that you want to know. I will let you ask questions and I will tell you all that I know. Now I won’t tell you how I know this information, but I will tell you everything you have ever wanted to know.”

Becky could not believe her good fortune. She knew that if she came into the news station with information that no one else knew, she would be assured to win the Best Newscaster of the Year award. This was something that she had been trying to achieve for so long. She could not believe her good fortune. She really didn’t care who this person was, as long as they could help her achieve her goal.

“Of course, I would love to have a cup of coffee. There is a coffee shop just around the corner. I will meet you there.”

“Oh I hate the coffee there. I know the perfect place. Why don’t you just come with me? I promise you that I am completely harmless. I will take you to the coffee shop and then when we are done with the interview, I will bring you back here. It shouldn’t take more than a half hour.”

Becky wasn’t sure, but she did not want to take the risk that he would leave and not give her the information that she so desperately need. “That would be perfect. Let me get my pad of paper and my recorder from my car. You can bring your car over and I will be right there.”

Roger thought that this was too easy. How could she so willing jump into his car? He didn’t really care, as long as he was able to get his next victim within his car. He made sure that the vinyl seat cover was completely covering the seat. That was the one thing that he could not stand, having another person’s body against his car seat. It was his only worldly possession that he would die for.

When Becky got into Roger’s car, she would never imagine that she was going to become “El Diablo’s” next victim. He asked her if she had any tattoos. He already knew the answer, but he wanted to make sure that she had it. She did, it was on her right ankle just like everyone else that he had “cleansed.” He told her that he was glad that she had it because it meant that she would be the next person that he would be “cleansing.” As soon as Becky heard this, she knew that she was no longer just a reporter of the crimes but now she would be playing the staring role in her own news report; not as reporter but as the victim of the biggest crime in Grangeville history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home